Sunday 11 January 2009

More of William Somerset Maugham's wisdom

'Life wouldn't be worth living if I worried over the future as well as the present.
When things are at their worst I find something always happens.'

Of Human Bondage, chapter 66

'It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason
as well as your sense of the aesthetic.'

Of Human Bondage, chapter 88

'I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ...
it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed.'

The Moon And Sixpence, chapter 2

'I don't think of the past.
The only thing that matters is the everlasting present.'

The Moon And Sixpence, chapter 21

'Perfection is a trifle dull.
It is not the least of life's ironies that this, which we all aim at,
is better not quite achieved.'

The Summing Up

'We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person.'

The Summing Up

No comments: